Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 July 2017

Mommy's New Wardrobe

Be it a day just spent at home or going out for shopping, movie, function or a party, we all want to look our best , irrespective of the gender. "What should I wear today??" is a common worry amongst most of us. But as a new mother, dressing up and styling emerged as a new challenge for me and required a lot of thinking around it. 
Knowing my body well, I was ready to accept the larger sized clothes post delivery. But it's not just the size that was challenging.


My son happens to be an exclusively BF baby whose demand triggers anytime, anywhere. More than hunger, sometimes it's simply an addiction or a need to pacify. Hence in such situations, I personally find outfits like sarees, long kurtas, or one piece dresses like maxi dress, jumpsuits etc. a bit difficult to manage . Especially when I am traveling or 'am somewhere with no facility of a separate child care room. Therefore when on casual outings, a pair of jeans & top or something of similar genre are the most suitable ones now considering my baby's needs and other activities.
Compared to my previous choices that included all kind of tops i.e. long , short , sleeveless etc. , little lose fitted  tops feel more convenient now. With the new body structure, short/quarter/batwing/cut sleeves look more appropriate and stylish than complete sleeveless. 
Pairing such tops or t-shirts with well fitted ankle length jeans, jeggings or trousers, sometimes palazzos and even long fusion skirts feels just right.
For the feet I avoid heels, mainly for two reasons:
1. To avoid unnecessary accidents , and 
2. I find heels inconvenient during a casual mall visit & shopping.
So be it colourful trendy slippers, bellies or sneakers with ethnic, sporty or metallic look, Flat it is for happy feet.
Next change occurred in my accessories. Third month onwards my son had started to grab & pull things and furthermore "taste" them. I realised that some of the accessories have sharp or pointed edges and contain beads or stones that may be harmful for my baby. So whether it's a simple daily wear chain or a heavy jhumka to attend some function, along with the compatibility, I also assess the risk level of that accessory before putting it on.
Talking about the hair-do, it is my best feature which on the contrary is now my biggest problem. I have long hair of thick texture which usually is not so easy to deal with. During my pre-mommy days, I could spend long hours with my hair left lose and straight. Even a messy look sometimes worked as a highlight. But now with my son around and very little time to pamper myself, top knots, low knots or sometimes even a simple braid works the best. Top knots is what I prefer most of the time as it's not that easy to hold or pull, it's easy to maintain, it is trendy and goes with almost everything I wear. 
For the face, a moisturiser and kajal are must for me on a daily basis. Make up that includes base foundation, compact, lipstick etc. are ofcourse occasional and optional wears. But when applied, I am extra cautious not to make any skin contact with my baby's face i.e. kissing or snuggling the cheeks mostly. This is to avoid  allergies or rashes in babies from the content of the products we use (irrespective of the brand). 
Finally, my handbag. Apart from my personal belongings, my hand bag now always has -
1. a sanitiser
2. an extra diaper,
3. baby wipes (travel pack),
4. Extra clothes,
5. one or two hand towels or napkins,
6. one or two teethers or soothers,
7. a shawl or stole (which usually comes handy in case of non availability of a child care room),
8. a cap and pair of socks.
9. water bottle/sipper (taken just before I leave the house).
This bag is always ready and good to just pick and move during those casual weekend outings.


Dressing up and styling is entirely a personal choice and depends from person to person. But be it a pair of Jeans, an elegant Saree or a graceful Gown , many messy moments and some perfect days come tagged along with this "new role". There will be days when you can't comb your hair at all. Inspite of being a fashionista you would have spent a day in just one shabby pair of shorts and t-shirt. Those pre-mommy regular parlour grooming might be the last thing you'll think about inspite of having dull skin & dark circles from the sleepless nights. 
As a new mum , one will learn gradually that in this "new job" it is the thought process that gets a complete makeover. Wardrobe refresh is just one part of it. There will be a change in the books you read, the places you visit, the food you eat and so on.  But whatever the choice be, your baby's well being, comfort and happiness will always be at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment